Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Remember When Wednesday - Preschool or Baby Memories

I am forcing myself to actually blog this morning.

Matthew is in school. Another wonderful morning of getting up at 6:30 with everything ready the night before really does make a happier mommy and son. Wow! What a difference.

We've only been going now for 3 weeks, but there were just 1 or 2 mornings where if Matthew didn't feel the routine in place...he would get edgy. Routines really still make a difference. Sometimes you get so stuck in your old routine that you forget, hey- it's time to start a new routine.

And then it is just a matter of time before we have it down and then we are all happier.

He really is doing so awesome that I'm in shock. Not that I doubt what an awesome kid he is, but because the problems we were having just a month ago with him not listening as well. His pediatrician mentioned something, but we are still not ready to "label" him. I am reading books, talking to other moms and just testing waters. But in 3 weeks of school with no problems, raving from his teachers to me about how cooperative and sweet he is and him also adhering to changes in his routine at home with stickers and rewards, having an agenda for the day, is really making a big difference.

I always new that socialization was key to life in general so I know that definitely in itself has a huge impact on how he is now handling his little world.

Due to my problems with him last year, I had been dropping him off with the teacher at the outside door and letting him go into the school without me. It was easier for both of us, compared to last year. Although he was also fine last year for the first two months, before the separation problems kicked in.

On Monday morning as I was gathering all of my things I needed to leave the house, he mentioned "Mommy, I wonder on the tables today." I looked at him clueless and looked at my dining room table? He said "No, the table at school." (he had not been verbally curious before school to this point)
I said "Maybe your painting of a tree from last week will be dry and you can bring it home today."

He said "Mommy, You can just come in and see it if you want! That's OK, for a few minutes. Other Mommies come in, you can come in."
Holding back the tears I said "Is that going to be okay with you?"
He said "Yes!"
When we got to the school, he was having so much fun playing in the outside line with his new friends, that when they opened the door he started running with the whole crew toward the door, while I was in the back talking to other moms.
I joked that he is having so much fun that he isn't even going to look back for me and head right into school.
That's when he stopped. In the middle of this huge group of kids and parents, he looked at me and smiled and said "Come on Mommy!"
Tears holding back and so proud, I held his hand into his as we walked down the corridor to his little classroom.
As soon as we entered the room, there was this little felt board of names and he showed me how he takes his name from the out position to the IN position to show he is in class that day.
He then showed me his little cubby where he hung up his coat and his backpack.
Taking me by the hand he showed me some artwork up in the classroom that he did, turned and gave me a hug and a kiss.

And then I went shopping:-) For Halloween stuff:-)

I almost want to say so far this moment is the best age with him, but then yesterday we watched again for the millionth time his baby movies and saw the months surrounding his christening at 4 months.
  • The big major activity was bouncy seat or exersaucer, or jumperoo thingy in the doorway with the dogs licking his face and him giggling the sweetest giggle and having the chubbiest most chunkiest wonderful legs and arms - to see him recognizing Daddy cooing at him on the bed and him letting out the biggest smiles and giggling screams of love.
  • To him sitting in his highchair and Mommy getting the same screams and joys of giggling while he had his first mashed banana's and was drinking his bottle in his little chubby fists.
  • To watching him scream and giggle after every time that puppet on Baby Mozart or Baby Einstein came on. He loved that puppet and would just stare and smile and watch in amazement.

I spent alot of my time those days recording every breath. I am still trying to record every breath because every one is priceless.

Every time I watch those movies I get immediately wishing that he had a sibling, because if they were anything like him than we would be so blessed.

I don't miss the sleeplessness (but I still have days like that). I don't miss changing dirty diapers. I don't miss the cost of diapers.

But somehow with days like today and Monday and watching those video's it's like, nothing else matters. I think I would do it all again in a heartbeat and now I wish that he wasn't turning 5 and that he would be closer in age to his sibling.

Until we figure out what we will do, we will shower him with our whole heart and souls and all of the love in the world.

No comments: