Sunday, November 11, 2007

Laughter Really Is The Best Medicine

Friday night while Eric was working late, I had the opportunity to watch on PBS a documentary on Carol Burnett.

I always loved her. I remember my mother watching her and her just cracking up and myself only being eleven at the time The Carol Burnett show ended on CBS.

I remember watching re-runs though and maybe even with my mother at the time they were on and just loving that "dying on the floor humor". Very similar to how I feel about Lucile Ball, but we didn't seem to watch I Love Lucy as much as I remember Carol Burnett. It wasn't until I was older and moved out of the house with cable that I saw I love Lucy and really appreciated her.

Carol Burnett was classic and it goes without saying that, they don't make them like that anymore. She was a pioneer for women's comedy and slapstick humor and so much of it was just pure and simple chemistry between her and her fellow comics on the show. The documentary mentioned that there were very few takes and that because the comedy just flowed, only one take was necessary most of the time.

She revealed how her ear tugging was for her Nanny (aka Granny) and that was her way of saying hello to her. She also went on to reveal that the famous nail biting shown on the show was her way of holding back from laughing. She did that alot.

Watching her on Friday night got me in a comedic mood. My good friend N had asked me to see a comedy show next weekend but we are going to PA to visit Grandpa so I had to take a rain check. I haven't been to a comedy show since before Matthew was born. I used to plan once a month a girl's night out and we had seen comedians in Providence, RI and it was so much fun.

I forgot how much comedy is a necessity for my soul as much as music.

I live for the words that come out of Matthew's mouth every day and wish I could just tape record them or remember to write them down more. He has me in hysterics most of the time.

Last night after Matthew fell asleep, I went crazy on YouTube.

I brought up old comics like Steven Sweeney (known Boston comedian) who I had seen back in 1990 when I first moved to MA. He was playing at a comedy club called Stitches, which at that time was on Beacon Street in Brookline but has since moved. We went there with Eric's sisters and brothers and friends. There was about 9 or 10 of us and we had sat in the front row. Since this was my first comedy club in a big city or ever for that matter, I didn't know any better.

I was wearing a black and white zebra Lycra mini dress that was in style at the time and was my personality at the time. Very body hugging and worn for Eric's eyes.

There came a time when Steve Sweeney was talking when I had to get up to go to the bathroom. I whispered in my now sister-in-law's ear that I would be right back. I was a little nervous about standing up and walking out of the room, but I had no idea that it would be as bad as it was.

I just entered the bathroom, when I hear on the microphone "WHERE DID YOUR FRIEND GO?" then I heard "TO THE BATHROOM?" "TO TAKE A POOP!!!"

I'm in there dying listening to the crowd in hysterics. I wanted to find a back window and just climb out, but I braved my way back out and through the crowd to the front tables along the stage. The whole time I was walking through the crowded quiet room, Steve Sweeney was staring at me (like I was holding him up) with a smirk on his face and he said "SO, DID YOU TAKE A POOP?"

The whole place went nuts again and I was almost in tears from laughing and embarrassment. Then he said "THAT'S A REALLY NICE DRESS".

And got on with the show.

Last night I watched 3 hours worth of Steve Sweeney, Steven Wright, Geoge Carlin, Howie Mandell for about 2 minutes (the quality wasn't good), Eddie Murphy's Raw and Delirious from the 80's impersonations of Italians, White Family, Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, Stevie Wonder and others, Steve Martin, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Robin Williams, Larry The Cable Guy and 5 minutes of Bobcat.

IT WAS THE BEST THREE HOURS I'VE HAD IN A LONG TIME.

Next weekend I am going to PA and one thing I miss about being around my brothers, is laughter.

They always have been able to keep me laughing and I know that they will get a kick out of Matthew's growing sense of humor, but also now he might beat Uncle P at Super Mario Brothers. It should be a fun time.

No comments: