Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Rainy Day Tuesday

I've lost my knack for my titles to my blog. Some days are better than others. My brain is in coordination with the weather today....foggy, gray and a little damp.

Last night at dinner, Matthew wanted to bring out my cookbooks for things we can make and HAVE A PARTY MOMMY!!!!

Before I knew it, he was sitting on my lap and was getting so excited over each picture in the book, but as soon as I told them the ingredients he would say "No, never mind."

Until we got to the desert section where suddenly every page was a must for this party.

I told him we couldn't make the Cappuccino cake because it has coffee in it. He said that it would be OK and that he wouldn't drink it, just eat it in the cake.

I mentioned that Tiramasu wouldn't be good either because that too has something for grownups in it. He said "That's OTAY...mommy! I can eat it, That's OTAY!"

Daddy came home at that moment, so all dreams of sugarplums danced away for me at that moment and it was a good thing because I have limited ingredients in the house right now.

This morning though, first thing before Good Morning Mommy was "Mommy, You have to call all my friends". I'm having a panic attack over this because he doesn't understand that you can't call friends and invite them to a party that same day. I was trying to ease his disappointment by letting him know that if he is serious about this, that we need to pick a date on the calender and plan it and make invitations to put in the mail.

I'm thinking maybe a hot chocolate and desert party sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas because that is the time that will work for us, but I also realize that time is also hard to get people to come due to the busy month of December.

The people he wants to invite are all of his cousins and family in PA and MA along with friends from school and our neighbor Grammy R. I'm sure if he really thought more about it, the list will include a few other neighbors as well.

He was still not understanding that this party can't be held today. I tried to talk him into another party with his stuffed animals, but he isn't having any part of that. It is heartbreaking to me to see that I can't fulfill his need.

It is beyond my control that all of his family lives far away, I can't force anyone to come. I'd offer to pick each and every one up from PA and MA though if I thought for his sake, we could make it happen.

Today we are going to make handwritten invitations on construction paper to get through this rainy day, to get this started. At least if we try maybe we can get back into the swing of things with having family and friends over and even if only a few show, it will make his day.

It will be just a desert and hot chocolate party with some coffee for the grownups and the kids can just play while the grownups just talk. He really loves having friends here in his own environment with his own toys and it gives him a chance to feel special by sharing them.

I haven't had a party since my Pampered Chef party a few years ago when we moved back into the house.

I wasn't looking for people to come and spend money, but to keep the continuum going of having friends over and that was a good way to do it.

This will be a party about just friends and family over cookies and hot chocolate. No money needed, just bring hugs.

Alright, I think I just talked myself into it. He really is a great host. He loves to entertain and make sure everyone feels welcome and that you are all having a good time.

Now we just have to pick a date. Maybe the weekend of Thanksgiving.

No comments: