Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Grandpa Shows Up With Cabbage!!

Last night during dinner, Matthew ran to me and said, "Tell me a story about your mom!"

I said, "You mean when I was little?"

He said, "Yes, Anything!"

I was shocked the way he came up to me and just asked me straight out about her. I told him how she was so beautiful, as I was quickly racking my brain for good memories with her. Due to her illness, my memory isn't the best with the good times, and I don't want him to know that.

So, I told him how she loved to bake and was so beautiful.

I then remembered a funny story but had to alter it a little due to his age.

I told him when his Grandpa met Grandma, he worked on a farm. My father being all Italian in the summer working on the farm, would get very dark. (I left that part out) I told him that Grandpa was so happy to meet Grandma, that one day he brought a head of cabbage to her house.

He knocked on the door and Matthew's Great-Grandmother opened the door in shock!!!

I told Matthew it was due to the size of the cabbage. It was really about the darkness of my father and him standing there at the front door of my Irish Grandmother's house, with that head of cabbage.

It was late 1950's early 1960's! So she was a little shook up!

My Grandmother then ran into the other room, screaming who and why is this man at our door?

I didn't explain this part to Matthew. He was happy with the fact that Grandpa showed up with the cabbage for Grandma!

Part of my resolution this year, is not to feel bad about the past..yet this isn't feeling bad, it's sharing memories.

I always wish Matthew had more people around to say, when your mom was a girl she did this, or your Grandma and Grandpa and Uncle's and cousins did this...

You get the picture....not only his memories yet to be created, but to also have a sense of who we all are, and our memories to help mold his life.

Yesterday and today, I have been back to the routine of school again, as well as the getting up early. I am getting myself up 45 minutes to an hour earlier than him, to have a cup of coffee, wash my face, get dressed and take care of me so I can then tackle him.

My hair is now in layers, and the girl said to get the curly look just let it dry by itself, so I have been letting the back dry and just take care of my bangs.

This morning, after doing my hair.

He looks at me and said "Mommy, your hair is messy still!"

I said, "Hey, I got up early to fix it so it isn't messy honey...this is the style."

He said, "Oh yeah, I like it like that!"

I now have to just go vacuum, play date today with some friends that we miss and I promise I am not cleaning more than that, the bathroom and the kitchen counters!

I have pride!

No comments: