Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Mama Swan Almost Sliding Into Lake, Elmo

Alright....I'm bad when I'm blogging about this, but it was funny.

For the past few weeks, we have been having snow storms, icy conditions, cold temperatures and the usual New England wonderfulness that makes getting out of the house so enjoyable at this time of year. On the sunny days, it's freezing and Mama Swan is a warm weather bird.

Yesterday we had another, and they canceled Matthew's AM kindergarten classes due to the messy conditions.

This morning, was left behind solid ice.

I have a five minute window to get Matthew dressed in his coat and paraphernalia for this weather, putting on his backpack and heading the little penguin up my sidewalk and concrete stairs to the street level to meet the bus.

It isn't like I have to go far.

Today, it might as well have been across town.

As we were heading out the door, I put on my pair of Surell Boots, Papa Swan and I share. They were a gift to me, from him a million moons ago...but he gets more use out of them. I wore his coat, since it was handy and didn't put on gloves (only going up the sidewalk and stairs, why would I need them???)

I told Matthew as we were heading out, be careful...go slow and I'll hold you up and we will hold hands.

Yeah right. He was booking it no problem, saying "Mommy, we can skate!!!!"

I said, "Let's walk in the snow, it's easier to put your foot into it if you stomp hard enough and it will help your balance."

We did and it was easier....

BUT

Then we were at the steps that go up to the street.

Matthew had no problem, rushing ahead...while Mama Swan literally was balancing with one finger onto one little patch of rock that wasn't frozen. I couldn't move and I'm yelling to him "Don't go onto that street!!!! If I don't make it up there, you are not getting on the bus!! I need to be up there with you!!! Don't move...get away from the edge of the stairs..stop swaying back and forth!!!!"

All the while I'm trying to find some way to get myself to move up them.

I finally did, but knew if my neighbors are looking out their window right now...they had to be getting the laugh of the morning...seeing me trying to balance on a finger or and almost kill myself.

Fun, Fun Fun...

Earlier in the morning, Matthew got up even earlier with me and I wasn't ready. We put on the end of Sesame Street and I thought I love Elmo...and looked around from a play date earlier in the week, he was still in the living room.

I plopped our Huge Elmo, into the chair next to Matthew and said in a funny voice "Elmo loves Matthew, Can Elmo go to school with Matthew this morning??"

He looked at him and said "NO, ONLY IF HE GETS HIS OWN BUS!!"

Yet, I am not allowed to get rid of him or any other big stuffed animal taking up room in the house. hehe

No comments: