Sunday, August 12, 2007

Squirrels on a Sunday!

OK....I don't know if I posted about our squirrel problem in the past...but today I'm going to!!
Up until today, my neighbors and my husband have been thinking that the squirrel population surrounding our lakefront properties have been "growing and becoming a nuisance". I have not agreed with them due to the fact that I thought they were cute. They mostly lived up in the 300 year old trees and we would occasionally see them playing in the mornings or would see them in there nests from our bedroom windows and I would show Matthew Mama Squirrel and Baby Squirrel.
Well, now all that is changed!!!
A month or so ago, Eric had a small cookout for himself, Matthew, Eric's friend and his girlfriend. I was on my neighbor's porch and came home an hour or so later with more neighbors now to congregate on our deck. We were walking through my house, when I looked out on my patio set to see A SQUIRREL EATING MY SON'S LEFTOVER HOT DOG IN IT'S BUN!!! with the Ketchup and Mustard on either side of it. Before I could run and get my camera, my neighbor scared him off and we laughed about it.
The next day, I got the picture below as one of the culprits was checking out one of Matthew's toy lions.


Over the past few weeks, we would smile at the cute little guys as they sometimes poke their heads in our glass doors. Just Yesterday, one poked his head in through the glass.
A few weeks ago, my father in law sent us the video here and we all laughed and thought oh...we could send them across the lake.
Today, Eric took Matthew down the cape to visit family while I stayed home to read a book. I was quietly reading upstairs when I heard something fall. I had brought my cordless phone upstairs with me and forgot to carry it down. I came downstairs and saw items that had been on my microwave on the floor and then heard a noise around the corner on my kitchen counter.
YOU GUESSED IT, A SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a heart attack!!!!!
I ran outside and of course, my neighbors that lived either side of me, were not home.
I started yelling a few houses up and finally got a hold of my wonderful neighbors who came to save me.
My neighbors calmly told me "Oh, Just a squirrel, Get A Broom, He might have gotten in through the chimney (as they had experienced in the past)" I thanked them for their help as they got him out the back patio door and then after they left I looked out at that door. The SCREEN IS EATEN OUT WITH THE THREADS FACING IN AS IF THE WHOLE WAS MADE FROM THE OUTSIDE IN...TO BREAK INTO THE HOUSE!
This is where I draw the line.
Now I'm looking at them all outside each one identical to the other and not knowing who the criminal was.
I don't trust them all now when they start to make themselves at home, in my home.
I think with them looking in the windows, with them on the patio recently and our smiles we have given them sense of belonging AND THEY GOT THE WRONG MESSAGE.
I liked it better when I felt comfortable among them outside like we all are God's creatures nestled in here along the water. Now I am looking at them like they have ulterior motives.

No comments: