Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sorting emotions- Summer Fun & Life - Life Past and Present

We have been busy, busy and even busier than I ever thought possible. It's a good busy.

Wish the days of summer would last until mid winter so that most of our year could be filled with such good times.

In the past two weeks, Matthew has been to the Children's Museum in Boston, zoo, a drive-in, a couple beaches with friends, swimming in friends' pools, swimming (but not listening to the instructor) at the YMCA, play dates at our house and friends homes and over the weekend Grandpa came from PA via NJ through NY, CT, RI and then MA with a wonderful loving friend of his (and ours) who has a son who is a chef at a high end restaurant in Boston.

We had the wonderful opportunity to meet him on Sunday and his new nickname with us is Ratatouille. He loved being with his mom and just hanging out with us having steak on the new patio set and playing with Matthew a little. Eric liked having him around because he gave him some cooking tips. Not that he needs them. I need them. I told him he is welcome to come down anytime and we could barter his services of teaching me how to cook and then he could relax and have fun with us on our many adventures! Sounds like a good deal to me.

Matthew was funny when they were here. He was giving everyone a tour of his house, when he stopped in Mommy's room and pointed out my wedding pics. He mentioned that was when my Dad married my Mom and before I was borned. This was the first time he made this announcement. In the past when I tried to tell him why he wasn't in my wedding movie or in those pics, he didn't want any part of it because he felt left out. So I was happy that he was sharing this happy moment and even stating he realized it was before he was born.

The last few weeks I have really been having withdrawal from being with my Dad. For the past 39 years, it has been mainly me (other than my mom before she passed) as the woman in his life. I know that being his daughter is a totally separate entity of being my son's mom, so having that need to be with him is something I don't think I'll ever get over. We have just been there for each other for too long. My father grew up on a farm and to this day can plant anything anywhere and is very good at it. The newspaper in our town in PA a few years ago did a story on his 4-5 foot marigold's and 9 foot tomato plants that he claimed he just emptied out the water that he was boiling the spaghetti with. I have been craving his tomato's. And not just the tomatoes. What good are they if they aren't with him picking them and going in the house and putting some mayo and salt on some bread and making us both a sandwich so we can sit out on his porch and eat them? It's his company more than the tomatoes. He is an Italian father and his Italian/Irish daughter wants to have a sandwich with him and be in his company. I know more than anything how those years might not last forever and so making the most out of a tomato sandwich is one of the most beautiful things in life with him.

I have also been under mixed emotions the past week because today would have been my parents 42nd wedding anniversary. There were just too many years for me to ignore this date and not feel it in my heart. I let my father know that I was thinking of him in this regard today and he let me know he thanks me from Mom and him. I don't know of this date, the dates of her birthday and anniversary of her passing will get any easier as the years go on.

I just wanted to sort out though that separate from my parents anniversary, I am also blessed that he has found someone that is enjoying tripe with him, enjoying tomato sandwiches and enjoying life with him. I wish for all those that I love to know that take a bite of everything you eat and really taste it, look out your window and really see, open up your curtains and let the light and love shine in, and experience every adventure and absolute beauty that the world throws at you with open arms and open eyes and open mind. Don't close them because you might be really missing out on life.

No comments: