Monday, May 14, 2007

A Brief and Comical Glimpse into My Wonderful Weekend

We had a really nice weekend. It all started on Friday night when Twinsmom and I got together for a few hours of ice cream and Walmart.

It's always nice when we get the chance to get out. She is such a warm hearted kind hearted person and I am very lucky to have her for a friend. It's amazing that she puts up with me and doesn't give up. I think that's also why I like her so much. She takes my good and bad and that's what real friends are. We became friends when Matthew was 11 months old and her twins were 13 months old. We kept bumping into each other through playgroups, online coincidences where we join the same group and find each other again, and then to find out that her girls were conceived via the same reproductive endocrinologist that I used when we were going through IVF. She only lives 5 minutes away. What are the chances? We were meant to meet. I always feel so good after our time together, like my heart is at peace just because there is someone near who is there for me. I hope she knows she can always depend on me too.

Anyway, that was my wonderful start to my weekend. On Saturday we had decided to buy some granite blocks for stairs coming off of our porch and so we went and got those from a guy up near New Hampshire. It wound up being a blessing because we had a 5th birthday party for Eric's bosses son in New Hampshire at an awesome Science museum (see some of the pics in my flickr). We got there late so we only had a chance to see two floors out of five, but they were just enough for Matthew. I didn't get any pictures of an awesome Lego exhibit they had. I had never seen anything like it. A whole Mill village from early 1900 era with probably 20 mill factories, Victorian homes, bridges with horse and carriages, parades and carnivals of a roller coaster, Ferris wheel and and carousel all made out beautifully of Lego's! All enclosed in a casing so little fingers couldn't get to it. I can't even imagine the patience and determination put into something like that. We get tired just trying to do a tower...alright, not really. I'm not that bad. We do a little more than towers, but Eric built Matthew a colonial home that came out awesome. I think Daddies are just better builders than Mom's. At least this one.

Then after driving the whole way home from NH, Eric agreed to take Matthew for his favorite Fried Clams. We went to this wonderful drive-in type place that I love where they come out to the car if you leave your lights on and beep. I always love going to this place. It is right near a drive-in too that someday I am praying when Shrek 3 is in there, we can take Matthew. The whole town reminds me of PA.

On Saturday night when getting ready to fall asleep, Matthew said "Mommy!! Tomorrow is Mother's Day!!!! And were going to have a party and invite all your friends and have cake!!!" I said "Don't give Daddy's secrets away".

Yesterday morning when I woke up he told Daddy he had to nibble me (on the ear) for Mother's Day. He said we needed a family nibble and a family hug!!! I looked at Eric with tears in my eyes and just said "THANK YOU". He said "For what?"... I said "Matthew". He really is the best gift I could ever get for mother's day.

When I came downstairs, Matthew with Eric's help, made me a card and later picked me a purple crocus, a dandelion and bunch of green leaves from our lilac tree that doesn't bloom. I put them in my kitchen window and told Matthew that Mommy is going to keep them forever. I told Eric "Who knows maybe they will start to miraculously bud in the glass?" We don't have our hopes up for that one.

Eric gave me the nice gift (like last year) of choosing what I wanted to do for the day. I told him a few years ago, that as long as we are doing something together that I'm happy. Last year it was the 4th day in a row of torrential downpours so we wound up spending it in the house. I was online on Saturday and saw how in Boston they do the traditional Make Way For The Ducklings Parade on the common. I thought it would be wonderful to make that parade at noon and then Mommy and Matthew ride on the swan boats and Daddy could get a picture. I also mentioned that I hadn't had lobster in more than 5 years so I wanted a lobster too. I didn't care if it was bought at the local supermarket, but I wanted one. I was in a hurry to leave so I just threw on a pair of jeans with slide on sneakers and a little blue jacket over a red shirt, painted my nails red and thought I was good enough for just me and him in the swan boat? Right...I also didn't match with my purple little nine west bag...so out of it fashion wise...but I din't care we were going to just go on these swan boats right? Who'd see me? We got a late start and we didn't really prepare with calling restaurants that didn't need reservations so we basically drove around a few towns before I finally said "Hey, we are going into Boston anyway...what better place to get a lobster than Boston?" Other than Maine, of course.

On the way in, I looked down at my nails that were all smeared for some reason from helping Matthew into the car or toweling him off after his shower and I didn't bring anything with me. Nice start to my nice try to make mommy look good.

We went to this restaurant so out of the way that I don't know how people know it is there. Right on the waterfront. It is called The No Name Restaurant. We had views of Logan and planes landing, boats in the harbor, seagulls and other birds. Matthew was in his glory! I got my lobster. Matthew couldn't get over the guy putting a bib on me. I never wore one before but I envisioned making a mess since I am so out of practice so I kept it on. Never again. Those pics are also going to be deleted from my camera. Matthew said "Why you wearing a bib Mommy? Your a big girl!?!?"

We left the restaurant and then went to find parking for Boston Common. Well everyone and there mother (literally) were in town. We found parking 12 blocks away a block away from Newbury Street. We decided to stop at Ben & Jerry's on Newbury Street before starting our trek to the common. As soon as I started walking, I started feeling my old insecurities popping there ugly head. I'm wearing this...on Newbury Street??!?!!?!? Women were walking past me with the latest trends in sandals, manicured toes and dresses with gorgeous bags and hair and nails done....and not to mention all beautiful young tan women... I felt so disgusting. I joked with Eric while we were sitting at B & J's. He was taking advantage of his very discreetly using his sunglasses to watch the pretty girls. I mentioned it to him and he said..that's right. He was enjoying every bit of it. I then joked saying "Matthew, How about Mommy leave you with Daddy for an hour" I told Eric "I'll come back like Julia Roberts without the long hair, but nice dress, nails done and shoes". But that wasn't in the plan. Another day. Eric used to take me into Boston before we had Matthew for my birthday countless times, letting me go nuts to an extent acting like Julia Roberts. That used to be one of my favorite kind of gifts and he enjoyed watching me transform from mishapped beauty to a more put together one.

So, feeling insecure like I wanted to just disappear really quick down this long stretch of street to the common or maybe even go to the next block and head up, we walked up anyway. A few blocks down, I'm approaching these two girls on the corner with cute little black skirts and jackets on with tan legs and long hair...and on the one girls back I thought I saw the word POLICE. I thought must be some new uniform for the meter maids in Boston now? Just as I was thinking that...I saw the word above POLICE..FASHION POLICE.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I being the idiot I am, broke into hysterics to the girl and said "Oh, that is so cute!!" She looked at me and said "It doesn't cost that much to look good"...I said "DON'T BLAME ME, IT'S ALL HIS FAULT THAT I LOOK LIKE THIS..AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED I DON'T SPEND ENOUGH ON ME." Eric, mortified ran to the next block with Matthew. I said "Well, do I at least get a coupon to help me look better?" The whole time I am standing there I am waiting for the television cameras to come out and say I'm on one of those shows. I really thought they were really there. She reached into her bag and handed me what I thought was a coupon and wished me a Happy Mother's Day. I ran to catch up with Eric and reached into my purse to show him all the while laughing hysterically because I had already felt so insecure. She didn't give me a coupon!!! IT WAS A FASHION VIOLATION.......................

THAT'S IT...........................

I'M OUT OF THE CLOSET AND AM NOW FASHIONABLY DESPICABLE.................

I DO NEED HELP AND I REALLY COULD HAVE USED A COUPON.

The really horrible thing on top of it was that it wasn't a coupon, but you have to use your fashion violation as a entry to a $5K gift cards towards Marshalls. That means you have to walk into Marshalls and admit to it first....

No thanks...I'll just tell the whole world on my blog.

Before I forget to mention by the time my little guy was ready to go on the swan boats, they had closed them....

More tomorrow, but that basically was most of my wonderful weekend...

Bottom line...Matthew is my gift.

No comments: