Monday, October 1, 2007

On The First Day Of October...

I gave to me.

An orange and black blog with cute little Casper the friendly ghost.

Alright, so I'm weird. I'm entitled. I have a four and a half year old little boy. I'm allowed now to do those things that I waited my whole life to do and people used to think I was weird then.

Now I have someone to show off my "child friendly" side.

Today October came in with a coldness that reminded me that I have to buy Matthew a winter coat, gloves and a hat soon.

Cold mornings, warm afternoons and cold evenings. I wish it would just make up it's mind. This morning I left for his school wearing a sweater and one of my new fall coats that I found on
www.classiccloseouts.com. This site is incredible. I feel like I am in the old Eynon Drug store in PA or the old department store Eric used to work for. Great buys at really great prices.

Anyway now that I'm done advertising, I was the only mom all bundled up this morning. They all show up in short sleeves and shorts. I know living on a lake makes the weather at home completely unrealistic to the weather just up the street, but really. I think my being so skinny and having previous bouts of hypothyroidism, I am just always going to be cold.

Matthew wasn't helping me this morning. He was cold as well and so he didn't want me to stop cuddling to eat, to stop cuddling to get dressed. It really puts crooks in my morning when he wants to cuddle. I'm not complaining because I love those kind of crooks in my morning.

Over the weekend, we spent two days in a row visiting Grandma & Grandpa K for their anniversary so Matthew had a great weekend. Last night we had dinner to celebrate and he loved just being around his cousins and Aunts and Uncles, not to mention Grandma & Grandpa.

This week is going to be another busy week with new friends, play dates at the parks with new and old friends. Last year we made friends with a mom who had three year old triplets (one girl and two boys). Natural, no infertility and she was pregnant with another when we last saw her. The triplets went to school with Matthew at his brief stint of school and I just felt for that mom. And she amazingly made everything look so effortless. The kids were all well behaved, quiet, smiled and her 7 months pregnant at the time acting like everything was wonderful. I would and still look at her with pride.

Her triplets were so used to automatically having playmates from birth that they were already well advanced at socialization. They were content to just be quiet and listen to a story or sit and play next to each other. The little girl was the mother hen always pulling them behind her at the playground like a great little mom.

Today we are meeting them again a a local park with their new baby sister who will be one in December.

At least now the girls even out the boys. They are an automatic team wherever they go.

Later this week, we are having lunch with the mom from Brazil and her little girl and twin boys. Then also we are meeting some moms at a local playground.

The end of next week brings something exciting for all of us. One of our new friends little boy will be turning 5 and we are invited to his party. Matthew is so excited. He is excited to have Daddy meet the kids. He's met the mom when we went out one night for Smithwicks (beer I love from Ireland) but they had just sold out so we had our Irish dinner instead. For anyone who cares, Smithwicks is now available at the local supermarket in MA if it carries beer. I go to Ireland in my mind every time I drink it.

This mom and I have more than a few things in common and I really am glad that God put her in my life. She has made a small difference in what I have been praying for - for a long time. A friend who lives close, has a little boy that we can share ups and downs of life with, have similar backgrounds and goals in life and is extremely family oriented and friend oriented. She is one of the most outgoing people I have met in a long time. She never stops networking and never stops trying to find ways to climb this mountain of motherhood challenges. She is fun loving down on the ground playing and duck duck goosing kind of girl. The kind my son really admires. She is something to watch with her own children but also for me, with Matthew. She treats him like her own. She has this magic thing she does at the playground where she goes under the kids (because she is only 5'2") and runs out and they wind up going high. Matthew has now had it with me because he feels like why can't Mommy do what she does. Mommy is 5'11" and if I ran under the swings I would knock myself out, Matthew off the swing. It wouldn't be pretty.

She also has alot of similarities to my best friend K in PA. I've showed her pictures and told her so. She might have alot of similarities, but each one now has a different special place in my heart. My heart is big enough to hold more than one friend in it (that's why I am also always striving for more). I don't have my family here and this is my way of creating that family for myself. And if these two ever met, they would hit it off enormously. Maybe one day.

No comments: