Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ugh.....MRSA bug and other Ugh! issues

That's all I can come up with for my title today.

Guess I'll have times like this when my mind is a blank to describe what I want to say.

Ugh! Says it all this morning.

It all started the other day when we witnessed that accident on the way home from school. The following day we learned that the 90 year old woman driving the car that smashed into the tree had passed away. The driver of the accident survived but was injured.

Passing through the area the following day, there was no sign, no marks left on that huge tree or even tire marks in the grass, that a life had passed away there. She later died at the hospital, but the fact that it seemed so calm, so serene again being the quaint little New England common that it is, was deceiving now to me.
She is now with my mom and the angels.

On Thursday afternoon, we had a call from the Superintendent of our school's mentioning that the horrific MRSA bug killing children throughout the country, had been found in our school and that they would clean the school that night and to await a letter they would put in the mail to parents.

Freaking out and frantic, I wasn't going to wait for that letter to come in the mail and eventually found it the next morning on the school's website.

The letter mentioned that it is important to realize that it is not an airborne virus. It is also important to know that in most cases, direct skin to skin contact or direct contact to skin drainage the wound of someone who is infected with the bacteria.

Not much help to me at the time, since I had no idea if this was someone in Matthew's classroom. Within 24 hours I found out that it was a little girl in second grade and after frantically reading up on this bug, I found that the playground equipment or the halls in the school, might be the only contact Matthew might make. Although who knows. She could have a sibling and he could be a playmate of Matthew's in school. I still don't know. I know she is now in a hospital in Boston and we are all praying for her and her family.

A four year old little girl in Concord NH, passed away due to this bug just last week and now with Matthew's school, there is four schools in MA where it has shown up in the last few weeks.

I've always been a nervous mom, this isn't helping me.

The symptoms they mention to look for are:
  • If your child develops a sore or infection that seems to get worse rather than heal, contact your physician.
  • They usually appear as pimples, boils or abscesses' and may be taken for spider bites. (again living on a lake, this isn't helping in the nervous dept for me)

The best and only defense for us as moms is to strongly encourage personal hygiene. Even more than we already do. Matthew I know has a habit of turning on the cold water and soap and out in 5 seconds, so I'm really getting on him now. I mentioned that a little girl got sick and that it is so important and hopefully when he gets back to school tomorrow the teachers will also be watching every move they make. My biggest problem with Matthew is - he is all boy. Hands are always going, from the nose, to other areas we won't discuss on my blog. He is always being a boy and when I tell him not to, he smiles and does it again because he is loving gross things right now at his age. And not to mention he developed a small fever on Friday and yesterday a pimple/spider bite thingy on his arm.......if it is not gone by tomorrow afternoon, I'm calling the pediatrician just to have her erase hopefully my fears of what could be a normal bite.

Ugh!

To distract me a little, I was re posting some items for sale on Craigslist. I really am trying to make a little Disney Fund Cash right now and we have some larger items that we are ready to get rid of.

One of them has been my beautiful hutch that Eric got me a few years ago when we moved back into our house, after the addition was done. Unfortunately, because the width of our dining area isn't as large with the hutch there and the table, we have it in the living room. It just doesn't work there and with all our other paraphernalia and Matthew's toys it is looking really cramped.

I had a girl call me on Friday and she was so excited. Because I posted not only a picture of the hutch, but also dimensions I thought I was good in providing everything necessary to make the sale.

I asked her if she was interested in it when she came would she be prepared to take it with her that same day. She said she would and she would bring cash and her boyfriend and his big F250 truck. I said then I would empty all of my stuff out of it then.

Last night I watched the Red Sox game, having an awesome time watching that 3rd inning and feeling that my staying awake had alot to do with it. I lasted until the 8th inning and decided because she was coming this morning, I would clean early in the morning.

She called this morning at 8 am all bright eyed and bushy tailed, my mother (I know) had to nudge me out of my sleep to faintly hear the phone downstairs in the distance. I got up and she was excited and would have a 45 minute drive and so we all got up and cleaned the house. Well Eric and I did, while Matthew lied on the couch. Eric did an awesome job cleaning the counters, the back deck while I cleaned the hutch and vacuumed, moved our trucks to the top of the street for this big F250 that would come down our drive.

I should have known by the way they parked up on the street, that something was amiss.

They came in smiling but so quiet. I didn't think it was the same bubbly anxious girl that I talked to on the phone. I felt awkward at there quietness. Eric did too and eventually went out to take pictures of the lake foliage to give them some room.

Then they smiled and she said Ok..we have a few more today to look at. I'm not sure it is going to fit in the space we need...Thanks though.

UGH!!!!

When they left, Matthew said "Mommy, Did They Give You The Money??" (He knows this is his Disney Fund).

Talk about UGH and disappointment. I just can't believe my luck sometimes.

Well, hopefully this week at school will be a safe one.

No comments: