Tuesday, April 17, 2007

American Idol & Mommy's Early Singing Dreams

Ok...I wasn't going to post today because I didn't have the time, BUT......

Did anyone see Sanjaya tonight on American Idol??!?!?!?!?!?!?

I hate to be a horrible judge of someone, but really!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's time for him to go....that bandanna, the hair and the horrible rendition of Bonnie Raitt's song (who I love). Simon had it so right!!! BAD KARAOKE VERSION....

And after tonight, Jordin Sparks is my hero, singing my all time favorite song by my favorite country singer Martina McBride!!!

Now Melinda is in a close second.

And on a funny note: Matthew wasn't asleep yet, and he said "Mommy, Why do you like American Idol so much?" I said, "Because Mommy is living vicariously through them honey." He said "Why don't you go on the show?!?!?!" I said, "Honey, Mommy is too old, they won't let me on there."

I wish that it was on just a few years earlier and that the age limit wasn't a problem. My voice has suffered over the last few years with my neglect of not being able to practice for hours a day like I used to. My diaphragm isn't the same.

I need alot of work now!! I used to be able to sing Broken Wing by Martina McBride that Jordin sang tonight. Now It sounds like I'm killing some birds when I attempt it...It's funny, because I have always related so much with Martina's lyrics. They are so real to me and my life and she has always moved me. One day I'd love to see her in concert.

When I was in my late teens, early 20's, I had the chances to make my dream a reality and push myself at that time. However, growing up in PA, I was very naive and innocent and afraid of becoming famous. I wanted it, but at the same time I feared it more. I also feared more what the lifestyle of fame possibly could do to someone so young.

I was around 20 when I was in a recording studio with a guy who mentioned he worked with Barry Manilow and knew all the great recording style musicians. He loved my voice, but then he made this horrible pass at myself and my friend, a Really gross one. I ran out of there so fast. That fear of some men and what some girls must have went to for the promised future of fame stayed with me for a long time making me very untrusting of people who said they could make me famous.

That was the last time I had been in a recording studio until I married my husband and his brother had built an awesome one in his house. Unfortunately, he has now moved out of state.

Ironically, I was also naive to think that women who had babies and families couldn't do both, and at the time I wanted to be a stay at home mom more than anything in the world. More than a career at a college, I just couldn't wait to be a mom. And maybe later I would sing.
Little did I know that you could do both, and that years of waiting to get married and infertility would cause me to get a later start on my life's career path of being that stay at home mom.


I'll never forget my shock when I saw a pregnant Martina McBride singing in Washington DC for some Inauguration. I was wide opened mouth look at her, pregnant ready to pop and it's not hurting her diaphragm:-)

It's taking me awhile to grow out of my naivete, but hey I'm a slow learner sometimes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is so easy to look back and say you could have done it differently if you hadn't been 20 years old when you were 20 years old. I wasn't raised to make choices and try to get what I wanted. I was raised to take what you get an be happy, because if you ask for it, you will be denied it. If you dream it, you will be disapointed and it will be your own d*%*$ fault. So I did the right thing, which was wrong for me, and then got to do what I wanted 10 years later.

I was involved in a disabling accident and saw from my hospital bed what, or who, was important.

So now I am married, mom to a 10 yr old who came to us as a todler, and part time textile artist-- between therapies. Would I go back and do it differently? If I had to, I would. Physical pain would motivate me. But, do I regret how it turned out? No. No regrets.

doublecatbatik.blogspot.com
doublecatbatik.com