Sunday, April 15, 2007

When God Shuts A Door...He always Opens A Window

Today as the rain is falling down, non-stop it just makes me feel like taking a deep breath..

I don't know how many other people feel this way. I have had a bad sinus cold the last few days and Eric finally came home last night from NJ. I know that I'm blessed with Matthew. I know that there are children whose father's who go overseas or have jobs out of town for months at a time. I don't know how they do it and most times with more than one child. Who am I to say that I'm tired or sick?

There was a family last night on CNN, where they showed a preview for an interview on this coming Monday. That have 7 children and Daddy is the sole provider, and he is going over for another tour of duty in Iraq.

First off I know you can't choose love and who your heart belongs with, but I don't think I would have had the guts to be a military wife. Just because I don't like the idea of moving from state to state every couple of years. But now being wiser and older, I also know that those woman are some of the most courageous out there. It takes more that just strength to follow your husband and say honey, I'll love you wherever you go. It takes so much more strength to add children to that equation and then be there sole caretaker while the father is away. It takes alot of prayers, alot of guidance, alot of community support etc. I really do tip my hat to those mom's. And for those Dad's I tip my hat and say a prayer that you do come home for your children.

I don't know if you ever heard the saying "When God Closes or Shuts a Door, He Always Opens A Window". It is another one of those cliche's that when you really are in the thick of it, you don't want to hear...it's like just one more bunch of words, that really by themselves don't help me much.

But with action, those words are powerful. By not being afraid to say those words when someone needs to hear them. And then by doing more than that, by actively giving them a hug, or talking to them like they are human, like you - that don't want just words, they want action. They want someone to step in and take the wheel and drive for a little while. (as I'm typing that I'm thinking of Carrie Underwood's song Jesus Take The Wheel )...it's so true.

On a good note, God Opened my window this week. Showed me that if you open your eyes the people you are trying to find, might be right around the corner, instead of out there in the world wide web. Thank you God for opening my windows and letting the sun in again.

Just to bring some humor to this blog, I have to add some beautiful things Matthew said in the last few days or I wouldn't feel like I am completing my day. It's really getting addictive.

  • Friday morning when I woke up with my sinus' so bad, I asked Matthew for a tissue for my nose. He happened to be standing by one of the three new boxes that I bought the day before. He took out one and handed it to me. I said, "Honey, Mommy's nose is bigger than yours. Can I have another one?" He said "OK....BUT .....ONLY .....ONE.....MORE!!!!! THESE ARE FOR ME!!" (again there was 118 more tissues in the box)

  • Before I got up out of bed, I was playing with his curls and said "Honey, you really need a haircut"....He said " I know but Daddy and Everybody says I don't need one". I said "Whose Everybody?" (since he is with me all day) He said the name of a little girl that was in his brief moment in preschool in September (that he hasn't mentioned her name in at least 5 months) and then he said "Sandy". I said "The Dog down the street?" He said "Yes! SHE SAID...Ruff! You don't need a haircut! And I said Ruff I do!!!
And my favorite:

  • I came downstairs and he was across the living room from me. I said, "Hey, Come hear so I can put your socks on so we can get rid of our colds". He always gives me a hard time and due to my not being able to talk with my throat feeling like razors were inside, I said "Do you love me?" He said "NO"....being the wimp of a mom I was this week, I couldn't help but tear up at his announcement. I kept it under control but he saw the tears. He RAN ACROSS THE ROOM TO ME, LUNGING AT ME AND HUGGING ME. I said, "See, it made mommy sad when you said that..you hurt my feelings, I would never say that to you because it would hurt your feelings"...he sat back on the couch.....and then said...

APRIL FOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (now I hadn't said April Fools since April 1st and only had said it once then)

Such a sweetie racking his brains on how he could get out of this one!! And he did!!!!! LOL





1 comment:

debangel said...

Some of us aren't around the corner but are happy we found you anyway =)