Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Sound Of Music with Matthew & a little Michael Buble for Mommy!!

Today will be the first less than cloudy or rainy day all week, so we will be making a trip out to AC Moore for some craft supplies. I found some really cute ideas for Easter, but eveytime I look at something, there is always something that I'm missing. Just simple things like paper plates, pipe cleaners etc. So hopefully, the distraction of that wonderful store will be an easy venture for us today and then later we can make some cute bunnies and Easter tulips.

Matthew has already had his craft moment today. He took out his playdoh and made me some "trophies". I will post the pics later. He is so creative and funny. He took his little animals, like dinosaurs, farm animals and underwater creatures and put each one separately in a "trophy" stand and gave them to me one at a time. They made a beautiful display on our granite counter top in the kitchen. Don't worry Daddy, I've cleaned it up already.

While Matthew was eating breakfast today, Little Einsteins was on the Disney channel. They were singing Do-Re-Mi....next thing you know guess who started singing the whole thing!!! I am so proud of him! He then ran upstairs to very proudly give Daddy his performance. Later, while doing playdoh I started singing it with him. He kept saying Do Re Si or Fi, so I was trying to teach him the words to remember by saying Do a deer, Re (a drop of golden sun) and then pointing to myself said Mi (a name I call myself)...he ran off distracted by something else.

When I went on YouTube I found Sound Of Music's version and he was looking at me singing with Julie Andrews like How Do You Know that song mommy? He was so impressed with my knowing all the words and knowing the song. He then walked off and went to play with something else, but now I have to get that movie. I can't believe it is one I don't have. It is definitely one of my favorites. Then I brought up YouTube's video of Julie Andrews singing with the Muppet's, The Lonely Goatherd and when I was yodeling with them, he kept smiling at me very impressed. He got a kick out of Kermit The Frog in the video.

Speaking of music, I was watching my favorite show American Idol last night for the elimination night. After Wednesday's performance, I really am pulling for humble and sweet Melinda Doolittle (her name is even humble and sweet). Her performance on Wednesday of Ive Got Rhythm was outstanding. I didn't think I would ever get chills from that show like I did with that performance!! It reminded me of watching Fantasia doing "Summertime" when she sat out on the stage and just belted it so soulfully. But Melinda!!! Looking at her, listening to her humbleness and then hearing that power, she deserves to win. So last night I was watching eliminations, waiting for Tony Bennett to perform because he was the prior nights performer that they had all worked with, and then Ryan Seacrest said "He has the flu, a friend of mine is going to sing instead please welcome, MICHAEL BUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ok, I already knew that he has a new album coming out on May 1st, but I didn't know he would be popping into my little moment on the TV last night. It was like a special Mommy gift just for me. Thank you Mommy Gods!!!

There is debate today though on the American Idol message boards about his "so, so performance". All I have to say is I've seen him live, I've seen him on YouTube and listen to him everyday I'm in my car, he was a little like one of the contestants last night instead of the performer, BUT in his defense he also had hours notice of his appearance and his comic side and giving props to the band is part of his performing quality. Some people on the boards didn't understand that. They need to see him live to appreciate him, like me. (heehee) Thanks Dad BTW!!!

Last year, my best friend K and I saw Def Leppard and Journey on a Friday night in PA. When I got back to my father's house late that night, my father broke the news "How would you like to go to another concert tomorrow?" The Def Leppard/Journey concert was the first one for me since Vince Gill in 2001. Mommy missed going to concerts, and NOW TWO IN TWO DAYS (REALLY THREE IF YOU COUNT DEF LEPPARD CO-HEADLINING WITH JOURNEY).

My father went on to tell me he was at a local resort that night, where Michael Buble was staying and his friend who is a DJ's there, got him two mezzanine tickets. I didn't even know who Michael Buble was. My father mentioned he did Frank Sinatra music and so being the daughter of a man who sings better than Frank Sinatra and does his music for weddings, venues and has opened up for Lou Rawls, I couldn't say no. It would be fun. A nice father and daughter moment.

The last time we had gone to anything together like that was in the early 90's to a small Masonic Temple to see a 50's Reunion tour of real groups including The Tokens who did The Lion Sleeps Tonight. So, this was going to be a sweet night of just Frank Sinatra music with my Daddy. We went to Bennigans for dinner, had a pint of Smithwicks (to put some Irish into our night) and then we went to the concert.

Now the night before I had got way too made up overdoing my makeup and hair for my 80's revival moment with my friend K and her daughter. The rain and almost hurricane ruined my whole look, but I had tried to look pretty. I mentioned to my friend that I couldn't get over the way some girls these days just don't care about there appearance and couldn't get over the way some of them showed up to this concert! No make-up, no jewelery, pants hanging when they sat down to reveal things we don't want to see etc. I thought of my earlier single days going to see bands and although the Lycra mini skirts might not have been the best decision at the time, that was what was in style and I always did my hair and make-up and made an attempt to at least make a good impression. I even got to meet Tracy Guns from LA Guns (but that's another story).

Anyway, that night going to see Michael Buble I figured I'll just wear jeans, just going to sit in the upper mezzanine nose bleed section, no one will see me, just there for my moment with my Dad. I almost DIED WHEN I SAW THE girls lining up for the doors to open! Beautiful dresses from the 30's style over the knees, nice heels nothing to risque, so old-fashioned, well groomed young men and young women!! I'm talking teens, early 20's...all dressed up so nice!!! I was so impressed and felt so under dressed, like maybe this Michael Buble has a cult and they know ahead of time to dress this way? But I was also immediately impressed by the guys on the dates dressed so nice and coming to take their date out for a nice, Frank Sinatra night....there was hope for all MANKIND!!!!!! MAYBE IF I COULD GET ERIC ON THIS BANDWAGON, HE WOULD DRESS NICE AND TAKE ME ALL DRESSED OUT TOO SOMETIME TO SEE THIS GUY!!

We go inside and take our seat. The guy that gave my father the tickets, came to see how we liked our view. He asked me if I had ever heard of MB before and I said I had not but being a Frank Sinatra lover, I'm sure he will be good...AND THAT'S WHEN HE SAID..."Don't you know that song HOME that he does?" I almost died again....and almost couldn't breathe too. My mother's passing was just a few months fresh for me at this point and so every time I heard that voice on the radio singing about HOME, that almost John Mayer sounding voice I thought, I would only listen to a little and have to change the channel without tearing up. I missed HOME, I missed my family....I thought OK ..this is going to be good, and who better to see this with then my dad.

I AM NOW A HUGE, MAJOR FAN OF MICHEAL BUBLE AND AM SHOUTING IT TO THE WORLD!!! His performance live is spectacular, intimate, comedic, professional, outstanding vocal quality, charming with his audience women and even has the guys laughing, mesmerizing. And my father doesn't give kudos to other guys doing Frank, For him to like him you know he had to be good!!!

Gotta pull up someone's pants from going potty and get out of the house now! (and play a little Feeling So Good on the way)

No comments: