Friday, April 6, 2007

Mommy has the afternoon OFF???

Well, I am so excited to have some hours just for me. I wasn't going to spend it on the computer blogging, but just one small one before I head out into the beautiful blue sky day.

Eric had to work last Sunday. He wound up going in at 5 pm (because I had a bellyache) and worked until 3 am. He had mentioned that he was taking Friday off, but I never get my hopes up because he has so many things going on at his work, or with the yard, the house that it very rarely means Mommy has time off. The few times it happens, I don't even know it is happening until he is heading out the door to the playground with Matthew, and then it's like...Hey!! HOW MUCH TIME DO I HAVE? DO I HAVE AN HOUR? DO I HAVE TWO? SHOULD I BLOG? SHOULD I TAKE A BUBBLE BATH? SHOULD I SING REALLY LOUD ON MY MICROPHONE OR JUST BLAST SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER AND CLEAN REALLY FAST WITHOUT ANY INTERRUPTIONS?

Eric is going away on business next week for 5-6 days to NJ. He also mentioned to me the other night, that he was going to Philly a few weeks later.

In my ideal world, I like to use the time that Eric is out of state, keeping Matthew occupied for those 5-6 (24 hours) each day. It is a long time for a little boy. He doesn't understand weeks yet, it is a long time for just Mommy to keep him happy and entertained and going to PA during that time is a way for me to fill that void in both of us. Matthew has an appointment this week, that we can not miss , so we can't make this time.

When we do go we try and visit my Aunt, My Godmother, other family, friends, Uncle J and Matthew's cousins. Each day is a little adventure for us, seeing the cows in the country, the mountains - sitting with Grandpa on the porch in the summer or going out for breakfast in the morning. It winds up becoming Matthew's memories and I've got him to eat really good at that restaurant we go to. An inexpensive restaurant, with good quality and large portions. We had the luncheon after my mother's funeral there.

It is hard to do being a stay at home mom though, on one income. The time I spend visiting does get costly when you consider I like to go home at least every two months, either with Matthew for a few days/week or by myself for a weekend. In the 17 years I have lived in MA, I have never had the money to fly. The area I'm from intermittently has direct flights to Boston, like once every ten years and there are extremely expensive, then I'd have to rent a car.

Even though I limit our dinners to inexpensive eating establishments, buying food to eat just staying at Grandpa's house (essentials for Matthew - whole wheat, baby shampoo, peanut butter & jelly, OJ) gas for the car, and occasionally in the summer time trips to amusement parks, it can still be expensive for one income when you add up the amount of days. It's not like we are living the high life. I don't have to pay a hotel fee and the host is the most hospitable guy in the world, who after all of the time coming in now knows enough to stock up on OJ with calcium and no pulp, whole wheat bread etc..and he does it out of love. I will show up and he will have lasagna waiting or spaghetti and meatballs. He tries to help the most he can and he is so thoughtful and a wonderful father and grandfather.

The answer to our money problems is a simple one. My getting a job for the hours when Eric is home at night with Matthew.

I've mentioned to him that I am open to customer serivce, data entry, doctor's office help, receptionist, waitress, hostess etc. That regardless, no matter what job I take, he needs to tell me weeks in advance about future out of town trips or changes in his daily schedule so that I then could tell my potential employer.

So, until we work out our commitment issues between us for whose job/scheduling etc and how it can all work, my trips to PA are on a limited time basis.

I found a guitarist position yesterday looking for a vocalist for duo acts in a lounge. It looked like if I had the time to rehearse it might be up my alley. Eric doesn't think my schedule can make that commitment.

I think my schedule now that Matthew is getting older, would work perfectly with a wedding band. A band that only works maybe one day a month in the winter, but rehearse a few nights a week and then in the summer months maybe two - three weddings a month. I think I can handle that considering Eric is home most Saturday's and the money would then help us with our town taxes, car expenses and trips to PA not to mention daily living expenses and Mommy would be singing...make everyone happy. And then next time Matthew says Mommy did you go out with your band? I can say "YES!"

Anyway, I do have to get off the computer and get out. I think I might just take a walk in a state forest and breathe the rusteling of the leaves. I haven't seen the ocean in a long time, but gas is expensive.

Eric's sister in Boston is moving this weekend and so Eric has taken Matthew in to visit with his cousins and help with them moving. Due to all of the chaos, we are now going into Boston for Easter. Less cleaning for Mommy...hehe

Tomorrow we will be visiting with the Easter Bunny and coloring our eggs.

No comments: