Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Remember When Wednesdays - In Memory of Mom & Sandy & Victims of Virgina Tech - warning might be painful to read.

Today I have wasted about 2 hours trying to learn about adding new templates and blog skins and one was awesome but when I tried to do it, it came out beautiful but it took out everything but my blogs?

I need more help in this department, so that project will have to wait for another day.

I might not get to post much because my sweet niece is coming for a few days and we are looking forward to her visit. But who knows I might surprise you.

Last night I was thinking about my mom, again. And for some strange reason, it will hit me really hard in my chest when I think of the fact that "she hasn't visited me since she passed". I know that sounds strange, but you are always hearing stories of that happening in dreams. And I 'm a little hurt that she hasn't dropped by in the last 14 months since she passed. Due to the amount of years that my mom had no voice and her illness really depreciating her communication for the last almost 10 years, I was looking forward to seeing her healthy state come and talk to me or show me herself.

Whenever I start thinking this way, I also think of all the people she had to catch up with and then some that I haven't thought of one day will overwhelm me with their thoughts and I'll wonder if she has talked to them or given them a hug.

Last night for some reason, I remembered my childhood friend Sandy. She lived a few doors down from me and was a year older but we played together for years. She was a little bit of a toughy and I was a little wimpy stringy thing, but she never gave me a hard time. When she was a senior in high school, she got pregnant and got married right away to a guy whose family owned a bike shop. One day a few years later, the place caught on fire and they found her holding her baby boy. They had gotten trapped in a bedroom and the back door in that room was blocked in by bicycles. They died of smoke inhalation together.

I remember going to the viewing and almost collapsing at the sight of her holding her baby in the casket. They were buried holding each other. Her mom cried and held me and said "You played with my Sandy". Her grief was unbearable and I'm sure it must still be unbearable. We lost touch when I moved up here 17 years ago.

Every once in awhile Sandy's presence is around me. I remember her and I always will pray for her and here family. I hope my mom and her have hugged by now.

That was my first glimpse as an adult of a child loss by a parent, and a grandchild loss by a grandparent.

My prayers are also with those families affected this week by that horrific tragedy in Virginia. Luckily I've been busy with Matthew so I don't keep the TV on and watch it as much. The children though, were all going somewhere in life. And as parents they had so much too be proud of. God Bless you all.

No comments: