Saturday, March 3, 2007

Happy Birthday K!!!

I will just call her K for short:-) (Hey remember Cleopatra? I will have to look that up in my middle school yearbook and we could use our old code names from J.S. days:-)LOL

What can I say about her, to let you all know how much she has meant to me in my own almost 40 year old life. We have been friends since first grade so that is a long time to have someone in your life, she is my sister in life. We have been through many joys of life together (maybe not physically due to how far apart we live). We have also been through many challenges. She doesn't like to drive far, so I let her off the hook but only because I know her to the core and who she really is. She has the biggest sweetest heart for someone so tiny. She is only 5'2" and she has a heart as big as the world.

When we were younger, it was just natural for us to be friends. We automatically gravitated together because we both believe the same things in life, had the same values and dreams and we both appreciated each other always. When other people in my life were not there for me growing up, mostly during school years, she didn't judge me - but instead offered her love and sweetness and we created some of the best innocent memories that we still hold on to, to this day.

We both had a hard time with challenges we were facing within our own families, so when we would get together it was always a loving and unchaotic (most of the time:-) escape from what we were facing when we returned home.

During our middle school and high school years, we would spend alot of time at her grandmother's house who was everything a grandmother should be. She didn't bake us cookies, but just be there to offer her wisdom, her love and later on her make-up (Mary Kay). Although the eye shadow I don't think she knew we used. We would go to her house and play our 45 of Rick Springfield's Jessie's Girl after watching General Hospital with Luke and Laura. When it was over, we would put on our make-up and head to the nearby baseball field to meet boys. K wasn't as crazy about them as I was, that was true for our whole life. I think I came out of the womb, looking at the doctor and thinking he was cute. K was every boys dream though during middle school. All of the boys wanted to go out with her.

Even though she had alot of attention, she never used it against her own values and beliefs. She was holding out for that one special guy in high school that eventually I arranged for them to meet and they are married to this day and have the most beautiful, bright, loving and talented daughter.

I was there when her daugher was born. I'll never forget it because I had been out partying the night before and she had gone to the hospital at 8 pm. I showed up at 11 pm and waited in the waiting room with friends until I think around 1 or 2 am, they wheeled her out of the delivery room and she looked so tired and so beautiful saying "Did you see her? Isn't she beautiful?" I hadn't yet but soon after I did, and to see that look of love from K to her and see that mom bond immediately, it just opened up my heart to realizing the bond I had missed out on in life with my own mother due to her illness, but also that I now was going to have to share my best friend with this little angel. Now being a mom myself, I appreciate and admire and love that she put he first and does to this day. That is her one most wonderful accomplishment in life raising her baby into an adult. It is the hardest and most significant job in the world and she has never swayed from that dedication to making it happen.

She is the one person in life, who knows me inside and out, all of my thoughts and emotions over the years and has never judged me. She could have held it against me after I moved away and said hey! You moved away! See ya later! I have a child to raise now and a family and just ignored me. But if I called her today, when we talk on the phone....I dont' have to say a word and she knows what I'm feeling. We understand each other, we know each others challenges and accept them.

Throughout the years, I didn't have the "physical" time to give my attention to making other friendships last due to my mom's illness. It depleted any time I had when visiting my family because my time was always spent with my mother and father and my brothers. I made time for K because she is my sister. It would literally be like leaving from visiting my immediate family without seeing my sister who was only another 10 minutes up the turnpike. That is how much she means to me.

I wanted to share more memories in this blog but the morning is almost gone and it is going to be 50 degrees today so I want to get out.

I just wanted to say Happy Birthday K......I love you!

Love,
Pizza

PS.. for everyone else sorry about the pink writing...she knows what Fuscia means:-)

No comments: