Sunday, March 25, 2007

Reasoning behind my Blogging

Ironically I was thinking about posting this today and after an interesting conversation today with someone, I thought it would be a good time to do it.

A few years ago, I read The Friendship Crisis by Marla Paul after feeling like I wasn't making any connections with the mom's in my mom's club or at the playground. I was very enlightened and decided as she says "Don't ever give up trying" to take that advice. We were going to be moving back into our home after doing our addition in May of 2005 and I decided to put out a flyer to all of the mom's on the lake we live in, stating "To ALL working and stay at Home Mom's". I was looking to start our own group of Mom's in the neighborhood for play dates, mom's night's out, connections for babysitting and just basic friends down the street or next door. After putting out 100 flyers, I got one reply from a mom of a 12 year old boy that she wanted to get him started in babysitting. I said I for myself anyway, was hoping for someone older for Matthew (preferably someone with Babysitting experience through the Red Cross due to us living on the lake) but that once I got more replies from other mom's we would get this group going.

It never got going. I am a member to many mom's groups online always looking for mom's for play dates for Matthew and can't even tell you how unlucky I've been. Either the group cancels the event or it would be for babies alot younger than Matthew's age or on one occasion just recently was when Matthew was sick.

I started this blog because I am aware of the sickos out in the world. I wasn't going to use myspace after hearing so many horror stories. I knew that blogging and being part of BlogHer or other Blog Rolls aimed toward Mom's that at least I would make some connections out in the real world with other mom's. It's been a long 4 years of not having any other women on a daily basis in my life and this is my way of sharing about my family while still trying to make some connections out there.

One of the first blogs I read was from Jenn at Blogher on The New BackYard Fence . I completely related with her and also with some of her own posts on her own home site called Mommy Needs Coffee (another common denominator between us).

So if anyone is worried anymore about my taking chances with my son, please be assured that I not only am among millions of other mom's out there in the same situation, but some with astounding advice and warm hearts too.

My son is my only reason for living. I would never in a million years do anything to jeopardize him. And I know that for the creeps in the world, they have victimized other children out there whose parents probably said the same thing. I can only hope and pray that they keep away from my son. But like other terrorists in the world, to let them keep my thoughts to myself or keep me from my way of expression is my giving in to them. And this isn't the same thing as how I felt about not letting the terrorists affect my life after 9/11, it is the kind of terror that grabs the brain by fear and says you have no right to be human and have your right to freedom of speech.

And me being an Italian/Irish Sagittarius girl that I am, I won't stop talking as long as I have the ability to think. My mother suffered from a disease for over 20 years that forced her voice to be quiet and all she ever wanted was to live life every day like no one was watching and take charge of each day and scream out to the world about the beauty in it. Out of respect for my mother, her illness and just me as a woman in general...I'm still living and I'm still talking and I'm still a mom.

Eric is just relieved to know that my blogging doesn't cost him anything. I told him if he looks at how many years I had no hobby or no one in the world to connect to, he shouldn't be concerned. There are worse things I could be addicted to then social connections.

No comments: