Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patricks Day Everyone!

Well, we had between 6-9 inches of snow and then rain...so it is yucky out there. Eric and Matthew are going to go out ( I will go out in a little while) to try and dig us out. I'm hoping I can still make my concert tonight.

My friend called me at 8:30 this morning, and I told her just in case to have a back up plan. She said she will take her hubby if she has too, but still hoping I get dug out.

It wouldn't be so bad if my husband hadn't taken my SUV to work yesterday and then pulled down our steep and un-shovable driveway when he got home. This driveway is so steep that it is so hard to use a snow blower on it, because you could wind up with the snow blower on top of you from the weight of it.

For as many years as we have lived here, the plans for our addition have co-incited with plans for a new garage. The garage is so unsafe and is next to the steep driveway. Every year we say this is going to be the year that the garage comes down and a new one, and then a new driveway will also be done.

And I thought that having my new SUV 4 wheel drive would solve all my winter problems, but the last ice storm for Valentine's Day I couldn't make it up the drive-way. Pretty scary when you have a lake behind you when your sliding backward.

Anyway, I am going to make this short so I can also start on my Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner so at least we will have some sort of celebration today. We are very proud to be Irish. We would love to go back to Ireland someday with our son. Eric and I can't believe that it was 9 years ago that we were there and that his little cousin who was 3 then, named Shane would now be 12! Eric's family is from Moycullen, County Galway and we stayed for 2 days with them. They lived on the same land that his Grandmother was from. They had 4 children when we were there and made us the most delicious traditional Irish breakfast. They raised cattle for beef and even a bull was born while we were there that they name Hurlic. Shane couldn't say Eric, he said Hurlic so that is what they named the bull. They also mentioned that after we left they named a female calf after me as well.

We loved visiting with them and Ireland in general. We rented a car and stayed in B & B's and toured pretty much the whole western side from Connemara County Mayo down to Conner's Pass and the Ring of Kerry, the Dingle Peninsula. I have been blessed to go to Alaska, Cancun, California in my life, but Ireland was literally God's country. We had just bought a few days before our trip a new camcorder and made the horrible mistake of not reading the instructions before using it. We have 24 hours of video without the landscaping mode on, meaning my beautiful green Ireland was gray!!! And it was gray when we were there, with rain, but 10 minutes later there would be sun, and green hills and daylight until 10 at night so if you didn't get nice weather during the day, you still had alot of time left at night to still enjoy it. It was so scenic, picturesque, and full of our heritage. The people were the nicest of anywhere I've ever been.

I will have to continue this another day. I have to get out and help Eric before he holds it against me:-)

I just wanted to say Happy St. Patrick's Day Mom...I hope you are having a pint with Uncle M and Grandma & Grandpa and maybe even on a cloud over Ireland watching the parade in Dublin.

1 comment:

DebbieS said...

Thank you for the flattering link to my blog! Your son is adorable! Have a Happy St. Patty's Day and I hope that corned beef and cabbage dinner keeps you all warm during the nor'easter!