Saturday, March 24, 2007

Spring Organizing instead of Enjoying Spring

Well, today I blew it. Eric took Matthew out around 10:30 this morning to run a few errands. He came back around 2:00, but Matthew had fallen asleep in the car before they made it to the playground.

Eric thought he would take advantage of the 55 degree sunny day and clean up our front yard a little (before another 1-3 inches of the white stuff tonight). Eric had gathered enough piles of leaves and debris to make a trip to our town dump (which happens to be near the playground). They left and it is now 4:10 and they are not home yet.

How did I blow the day? We had piles of bills from the last 2 years since we did our addition, just completely overgrown in our bedroom deciding to make a permanent home on my dresser.

It is one of those jobs that after doing daily cleaning like laundry etc every week, that I put off. And here it is a couple weeks before tax time is due again and I just couldn't take it anymore!!

Before Matthew and our addition to our house, I used to be the most organized person. Eric knew if he needed something and asked, I would know exactly where to find it. We have a pile of papers from doing our addition that we don't want to throw away (bills paid etc). The pile is at least a foot tall!! I'd say I held onto my organizational skills as best I could, until the house was done and we moved back in (we had to live in an apartment for 10 months). I think my brain just said then, that's enough.....I'll concentrate on Matthew now and monthly bills and daily necessities and housework, but paperwork forget it!

Those were some of the longest 10 months of my life, taking care of Matthew, living out of boxes, wondering if this week we would be moving back, running errands to lumber companies, backing Eric up in his constant need to find the right price on everything from cabinets, drawer pulls to faucets and hardwood floor installers, choosing paint colors etc... Eric would work long hours at his regular job and then come and work on our house with his brother who basically built our house. Eric was the general contractor so he hired and would get at least 3 quotes or more on anything done to the house, and some of the quotes luckily we did get more....more than $5K in savings. They did the most beautiful wonderful job and I'm so thankful. I don't like to sound like I'm complaining about the house because I'm not, it's my brain that needs a tune-up.

It's ironic, because when our house was smaller I knew where everything was. Yesterday I went to bring out my Easter decorations from last year, and I can't find them. I swore I told myself that anymore smaller holiday decorations were going under my bed, that way I wouldn't have to look so hard again. Well, Matthew and I looked under my bed and I have 3 containers of Halloween under there, no Easter. So we put up our one bunny and I told him, "Don't worry Honey, Mommy will find the stuff". When I couldn't find it yesterday I thought, this is bad, I'm going to have to put it on a spreadsheet in Excel just to know where my inventory is, but then I'll probably forget that I made the spreadsheet.

I've tried to become more organized these days with my outlook calender, but if I forget to check my calender and ignore my reminders that keep dinging at me, that is no use.

Anyway, I hope that once we do our taxes this year and I spent the whole day today filing, that I will be able to see my dresser again in my room and my kitchen counter again. Then the next time Eric takes Matthew out, Mommy will just go for a ride in my car and crank up some Michael Buble!! LOL

No comments: